Saturday, February 4, 2012

starting again

Rebirth? No, it's not that dramatic.
Resurrection? No, it's not nearly that powerful.
Revived? Maybe, that's a little closer.

I'm just starting up my blog again.  I guess it's really not that big of a deal for anyone but me.

I want to do everything I can to stir up the Church for the worship of Jesus.  To help light a spark in us, to help us lift up our eyes.

That's why I changed the blog title from the super-catchy "Dan's Worship Blog" (which sounds like the web version of a hot dog stand) to worship34/3.  Psalm 34 is frequently in my heart as I do my part at my local church to encourage worship.  It starts out:


 "I will praise the LORD at all times. 
      I will constantly speak his praises. 
  I will boast only in the LORD; 
      let all who are helpless take heart."



David starts with a bold declaration that he would praise or bless the LORD at all times.  He would constantly speak His praises.  This is a worshiper who is unquenchable.  With a heart filled to overflowing with Who God is and what He has done, he always has a word of praise that makes its way from his heart to his mouth.  This is a worshiper who is ready.

David's worship does not merely result his own praise to the LORD.  It has a spreading effect- an inviting effect.  You can see it in the last part quoted above: "Let all who are helpless take heart."

But the extent of the invitation does not end with an opportunity to observe David's worship and to "take heart."  No, the invitation is extended to join with him in praising God in 34:3:


Come, let us tell of the LORD’s greatness 
(some versions: 'Come magnify the LORD with me')
      let us exalt his name together.



Here is where what is going on in David's heart is projected out for others to see and hear.  Not to make anything special of David, but to display Who God is and what God has done for him as a means to stir others to worship.  David is taking the role of a lead worshiper here: Inspiring and encouraging worship through exemplifying worship.  He is saying, "I am going to worship the LORD all the time.  And I invite you to join me!"

And that's exactly what I want this blog to serve as: I want to make my boast in the Lord, to speak His praises and invite you to do so with me.

Every so often I plan on looking at the more practical side of being a lead-worshiper, but I don't want this to be a technical blog for a restricted audience.  I want this to be an invitation to any who would worship Jesus Christ, the risen Son of God:


Come, let us tell of the LORD’s greatness; 
      let us exalt his name together. Psalm 34:3

1 comment:

Amy H said...

I'm excited to read your blog again, Dan.
And you got to love David's words a few verses down..."Oh, taste and see that the Lord is good! Blessed is the man who takes refuge in him!" (v. 8)