Thursday, February 23, 2012

Grace

I'm amazed at the grace of God.  Not a novel concept, is it?
"Amazing Grace"
"Your Grace Still Amazes Me"
"Wonderful Grace of Jesus"
Yeah, I think there have been a few songs written about that.

But, as I sit here in my office finishing up the day, I've got to say I'm just amazed by God's grace toward me again.

I've been blessed with innumerable blessings which I did not choose for myself.  Did I decide, "The United States looks like a good place to be born, I think I'll go there?"  Nope.  Did I choose to be born NOT in the Little House on the Prairie times when life expectancy was, like, 40?  Nope.  Did I choose my family?  My father's job?  My health?  My talents?  No, no, no, no, and no.

Whenever I hear people talk about the virtues of free will, I cringe.  Maybe I'm the only one who feels this way, but I think, "Free will?  Where did my free will ever get me?"

My free will led me into lots of error.  It led me into bad decisions, bad situations, things I wish I could forget, bad friends, good friends that I hurt, bad relationships, hurt people I had didn't do anything to help, helping people that I hurt.  Oh, man.  My free will has been something I need to FIGHT in my life, not celebrate!

Look at what God has done.  Has He treated me as my sins deserve?  Has He let me see the end of every bad road I've started down?  Has He punished me immediately for my sins when He totally could have?  No. Much more than that, He has blessed me immensely.

I don't deserve my wife.  I don't deserve my kids.  I don't deserve my family.  I don't deserve my job.  I don't deserve my church.  I don't deserve my friends, my home, my clothes, my neighbors- nothing!  I deserve to be punished for my sins!  For where my free will got me.

But, thanks be to God, I haven't received what I deserve.  Moreover, I receive the acceptance that Jesus Christ deserves.

"How can that be," you may wonder.

Because Jesus didn't deserve to be born in a manger.  Jesus didn't deserve to be born in a poor town, in a minor nation allotted a little land to keep the citizens happy.  He didn't deserve to have to work hard to make stuff- He already made everything.  He didn't deserve to be alone, or hungry, or tempted.  He didn't deserve to have His own people reject Him.  He didn't deserve to be betrayed by a friend.  He didn't deserve to be mocked.  He didn't deserve to be called a blasphemer and judged a heretic.  He didn't deserve to have to appear before a court or a crowd or a small group of soldiers with nothing better to do than to make him a mockery king costume and beat him over the head.  He didn't deserve the whip, the thorn, the nail.  He didn't deserve the cross.  He didn't deserve to die, and He really didn't deserve to die like that.  He didn't deserve to have God's punishment for my sins poured out completely on Him- imagine, the fury of eternities in Hell squeezed into a few hours.  He didn't deserve to pay that price.

But He did.

Of His own free will, He did.

More than that, He rose over death, ascended to His Father's right hand and now stands as my Advocate.  My Advocate.

So that, whenever I fall again and need His grace and need His forgiveness, He is there.  He's paid for my debt in full.  I confess my sins right to Him, and He extends His grace and forgiveness to me who did absolutely nothing to deserve it. And He blesses me

Pretty amazing, huh?

2 comments:

Mark Timonen said...

It humbles us to think of what He has done for us, we will never completely understand His love for us, it is mot measurable. Praise him forever!

The BearPair said...

Dan, this is excellent! I appreciate you putting God's amazing, abounding grace into such simple, down-to-earth terms that any person can relate to--Thanks! PS, "His Grace STill Amazes Me" has laways been a PCD favorite :-)